**MRD Solutions was awarded a contract from OrbitalATK to design and build a CNC
machining center that was capable of machining tubular products 96 inches to 336 inches
long and 70 inches to 156 inches in diameter.
The machining center has a stationary headstock and a moving tailstock allowing for the
longer parts, each with 70 inch rotary tables and t-slots for fixturing. Adjacent to the Rotary
tables a machining center consisting of X, Y, Z, axis and a 6000RPM spindle on linear
rails that can be positioned anywhere on the machine.
These extended travel machining centers were specifically developed to address the
machining challenges of heavy and long component production, especially in the area of
tubular products such as frames and shafts. They feature a live spindle with turning and
infinite part indexing capability. The Rotary Indexers can also be mounted Horizontally or
**MRD Solutions has a used Masco BridgeMax VTL for sale. This machining
center will be re-controlled and mechanically tuned when purchased.
The machine has the following specifications:
Turning, milling, drilling, reaming, etc.
X = 126 in. Y = 72 in. Z = 42 in. (3200 mm x 1825 mm x 1060 mm)
• 4 axes of motion
• 200 RPM VTL table with 80 in. (2032 mm) swing and 22,000 Ibs. (10,000
• 55,000 Ibs. (25,000 kgs.) total capacity for VMC operations
• Distance between columns: 86 in. (2200 mm)
• Height under spindle: 43 in. (1100 mm)
• Fully programmable, infinite indexing C-axis
• 3,750 RPM, 40 HP (30kW) spindle with programmable 4:1 gear reduction
• New Indramat MTX CNC control when purchased
• Hand pendant for faster set-up
• Through-the-spindle coolant
• Precision synchronized ballscrews on X-axis (one each side)
• 52-tool capacity automatic tool changer
• Mayfran ConSep 2000 chip conveyor